One of many Petersfield properties which once belonged to Magdalen College, Oxford. There are references to buildings on this site since 1484. It used to form part of a row of buildings standing in front of the church between the Market Inn and Sheep Street. The intervening three buildings, including the old Petersfield Town Hall, were demolished in 1898. It has mostly been a private residence, but also a dental surgery (in the 1890s), The Commercial Hotel (1930s-1950s), tearooms, a solicitor's, and now a shop.
It is rare to find Wealden houses west of the Weald of Kent, but in Petersfield there are several examples of this distinctive 15th century box-framed house style, with a central hall, bays to right and left, and an overhanging (jettied) upper floor. The roof of this house has been modified at the front, but not at the rear, and alterations to the front facade lend it the appearance of an 18th century house.
The Jolliffe family dominated Petersfield politics from the time John Jolliffe bought the manorial rights of Petersfield from Edward Gibbon of Buriton (father of the historian). In 1732 they bought 33 properties including this side of Sheep Street, to secure votes for them in parliament. In 1835, Sir William Jolliffe (Conservative) was soundly beaten by a Liberal candidate in the general election.
The Royal Fire Mark on the upper wall, dating from Victorian times, indicates the protection by a private insurance company with its own fire brigade.
Goodyers (left), was the home of John Goodyer (1592-1664), the leading botanist and herbalist of his day, who introduced the Jerusalem artichoke to this country.
The adjacent house, Tully, was the family name of a former owner. As in many Wealden houses, the interior reveals signs of a former central hall fireplace, visible by the sooted roof beams. It also has a medieval stone cellar. The quality and the central position in the town testify to the wealth of its original owners.
The trackway referred to on the plaque on this 16th century house is that of the road from Winchester to Chichester, passing close to the Roman villa at Stroud which is situated to the west of the town.
The name of The Spain probably refers to an old Norse word for tiles which replaced thatched roofs here in the 14th century. As you turn the corner into Swan Street, notice the Jolliffe almshouses (1771) on the corner with their own dedicatory stone set in the wall.
Now known as The Old Dairy, this building has served many purposes since it was built in the 1860s: it was constructed as a railway hotel but later became a solicitor's office, a Temperance Hotel, and the laboratory and depot for South Eastern Farmers Ltd. For nearly 40 years, local dairy farmers benefited from it having its own siding onto the railway fascilitating direct milk deliveries to London, Portsmouth and Midhurst.
Beside a hidden spring in Chapel Street stands The Old Drum, one of Petersfield’s oldest inns. Recorded from 1714, its name comes from the adjacent “Drum” spring that once helped sustain the medieval town. Parts of the building may date back to the 16th century, serving generations of travellers entering Petersfield before the High Street became dominant. Over centuries it evolved from coaching inn to historic pub, quietly preserving the memory of the town’s original waterways.
Dating from around the 1530s, this remarkable timber-framed building is one of Petersfield’s oldest. Its jettied (overhanging) upper storey reflects the prosperity of Tudor merchants who once traded here. In 1591 the property was occupied by Thomas Osborne, who later became Mayor. Hidden behind Georgian alterations, original Tudor craftsmanship offers a rare glimpse of the town as it would have been.
Two thirds of the original building were removed in 1934 to make way for Woolworths. It has been a shop for most of its life, but in the 18th century part of it was a boarding school for privileged young ladies. In the 19th century it housed the most important printer in Petersfield. Since its construction the level of the High Street has been raised. Inside can be seen an example of the original wattle and daub wall.
As you continue the trail, the Petersfield Physic Garden on your left commemorates the work of John Goodyer and John Worlidge in Petersfield, and was generously donated to the town by a previous owner, Major John Bowen. The site represents the exact width of a burgage plot (i.e. a medieval shop/house and garden complex).
Possibly dating back to the 16th Century, this and the building on the right comprised the White Hart Inn. By the 17th/18th century it was an important stopping place for travellers moving between London and the naval port at Portsmouth.
Historic accounts suggest notable visitors included Samuel Pepys, Charles II, and even Peter the Great.
The inn lost its importance when Dragon Street was constructed and the main traffic then bypassed the centre of the town.
Owners of this Tudor property have included mayors of Petersfield in the 17th and 18th centuries, as well as many different kinds of tradespeople in the 18th and 19th centuries. One of these was the draper, John Tilbury, whose grandson became Speaker of the House of Commons, the Rt. Hon George Thomas. It was the popular Punch and Judy tearooms for fifty years from the 1930s.
The medieval origins of this house are revealed by the crown-post roof construction with a wattle-and-daub partition in the attic; there is also a fireplace dated 1660. Much reconstruction has taken place over the centuries, the most recent major refurbishments having taken place in 1904 and 2006.
This fine example of a Georgian building cost £3000 from the will of Richard Churcher in 1722, who created a school for 10 or 12 boys to learn the mathematics of sea navigation, with a view to their joining the East India Company. The school closed in 1877, moving to Ramshill, while this building became the home of Petersfield Urban District Council and later the Area offices of the County Highways Department'. It is now privately owned.
This inn opened in the 16th century as The White Horse, an alehouse facing onto Heath Road. When the turnpike (toll road) was constructed in 1711, it became one of the major inns in Petersfield, especially for coach traffic, with stabling for 100 horses. In the 19th century, an extension, including a ballroom, was added, which was used for meetings and formal dinners, making it the premier inn in the town.
The family of John Worlidge acquired this property in the 17th century. He became prominent in the life of the town and was its Mayor in 1673. John Goodyer, who lived in the Spain, was his great uncle. The occupant of this house in 1740 was John Shackleford, who named it Shackleford House, the name subsequently transferring to the house next door in Worlidge’s former garden.
The wall adjacent to this house along Dragon Street is the original garden wall.
The interior of this elegant private house still retains some original fireplaces and timber lintels. Georgian period (c.1730-1800) alterations accounted for the new facade and the dormer windows in the attics, were added to enhance the desirability of the property for the emerging wealthy middle classes. Note the Sun Insurance fire mark on this property.
This site, in common with many others in the town, was once owned by Magdalen College, Oxford, which leased it to provide income for the college.
Over the years it has housed a variety of trades. In 1880 Charles Rowland took over the building and with Percy Vincent marrying Beryl Rowland in 1934, the family-run business lasted here for over 120 years.
Built in 1867 as an open hall 90ft long and 34ft wide, the building was segregated into individual stalls for corn exchange, a corn market being held every alternate Wednesday. The building has since served in many capacities. As a hall for concerts, meetings, dinners and plays it was a great asset for the town; even circuses were performed here, the animals being paraded along the High Street to promote the show. It was converted into shops with rooms above in 1929.